Inspirational World

A personal muse on the beauty of the world, beauty in all its forms. The beauty of nature in all its magic, the beauty of humans in all we all are able to achieve through culture, society, technology, love, and peace. Inspirational in nature - a glimpse into the uplifting and beautiful world that we ALL live in.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Familia

Hmmmm, what to say - I haven't really had much chance to compose any travel memoirs of late, principally because I've been traipsing across Germany, Austria and Spain, all in the name of solar air conditioning (the reason for which I came to Europe.... or was the solar eclipse.... I forget. Both were pretty massive in my life). This has meant that most of my experience has been that of trains, hotels, and meeting rooms, with no time whatsoever for sightseeing, photography, or creative writing (an understated term given the usual creative license which I apply to my experiences). The one benefit has been the opportunity to visit friends from the eclipse and past Europe trips, in Freiburg, Munich, and Berlin.

The only exception to full-time work has been a (long) weekend in Spain, in which I managed to catch some of Gaudi's masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia, a work which will probably have taken 200 years before the artist's original vision is completely realised. In these times when no building construction lasts longer than 2 years, it is truly wonderful to walk amongst an emerging work in the same way one may have done as churches and temples were erected in previous millennia - even if the Sagrada Familia does look like much of a construction zone. Gaudi's incorporation of natural elements, including formations based upon trees and spirals, is highly inspiring and demonstrates a vision for which I have an affinity. But it was the passion of Christ facade which I found to be most photographically pleasing, as demonstrated below.

 
Words upon a massive door seemed to reveal a message to the world, conveying the master's wisdom, of evermore portent value with the increasing complexity of todays life and crises.


Embedded in its raised words lay details of beautiful nature, shells, skulls, faces....


... all contributing to the macrocosmic representation of an astonishing and breathtaking minor detail within this overall extraordinary masterpiece, the inspection of which would certainly bring a look of awe to your face.


Oh yeah, there's another reason there hasn't been a lot of correspondence from me of late... . Her name is Cristina.
Turns out the solar eclipse isn't the only thing which defies direct description, there's another experience which can only be experienced and felt within, the kind of which inspires poets to prose. Would love to say more, but words escape me - perhaps I'll venture a little bit more than "It was really good" and say that I'm (just) ecstatic. A weekend at her home in Berlin rapidly evolved into a week together in Barcelona, including a beautiful camping trip along the Costa Brava, in which I had a quick lesson in driving on the wrong hand side of the road through the streets (and occasional accidental foray through the pedestrian malls) of Barcelona.



Anyway, by the time you receive this I'll be in Thailand for a few days en route home. Back May 11, looking forward to paddling out to a surf break, to riding my bike and to paying a visit to Sydney in the last week of May.
Warwick

1 Comments:

Blogger tangles said...

hi there. that all sounds .. well ... wonderful. Funny, I was actually Costa Brava myself quite recently, also driving on the wrong side of the road.

Looking forward to hearing more. I am currently in Berlin and loving it.

4:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home