Inspirational World

A personal muse on the beauty of the world, beauty in all its forms. The beauty of nature in all its magic, the beauty of humans in all we all are able to achieve through culture, society, technology, love, and peace. Inspirational in nature - a glimpse into the uplifting and beautiful world that we ALL live in.

Friday, February 24, 2006

meet dragon - no fly


meet dragon - no fly
Originally uploaded by Beautiful wwworld.
The insect world always fascinates and inspires me. What prompted this blog was when the spot I was staring at the wall (little else to stare at when you're on the toilet) started to move. It was then that I realised it was an insect about half a milimetre in length. This train of thought led to the "Life in the Undergrowth" documentary series by David Attenborough, which features an insect far smaller than a pin head, able to leap above the Eiffel tower (in relative terms).

If you realise the amazing insect societies that thrive below and all around us, each full of individuals themselves remarkable feats of evolution, you start to realise how wondrous life on earth is. Remember that there's no way that humankind would survive without the insects!

As for this photo, its part of a beautiful story explained here:
This beautiful dragonfly was drowning in some water. When I rescued him and placed him out to dry in the sun, he obliged me with some pictures before he was dry enough to fly off. As a wonderful reward, I was fortunate enough to see another land at eye level, 1 foot away from me, which then proceeded to vertically launch, zap through mid air to catch an insect in its mouth, after which he returned to the ledge in front of my nose to chew and swallow the insect before my eyes. Wow!!! (That dragonfly is the next in this 'insects' set). I just love the detail in this picture, you can even see the hairs on his leg. Hold your finger up to the screen for relative sizes!

and concluding here:
Matrix Dragonfly


In less inspirational news, be sure to google "march 20th" and hit "I'm feeling lucky". Lets all celebrate!!!

Oh, and if you're fond of kittens, you may not like this: http://www.dansdata.com/kitten.htm

1 Comments:

Blogger tangles said...

Nice shots! I remember sun baking once when I was a teenager and having a humming bird thingo land on my upturned foot. There is something pleasing about animals/birds/insects that just see humans as some sort of spatial obstacle.

My thoughts on Steak and Blowjob day are that it doesn’t sound that much different to Valentines Day’s I have know… Hmmm. Note to self – need more romantic boyfriends!! (not that I mind steak so much ...)

3:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home